The Legal Examiner Affiliate Network The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner search instagram avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner
Skip to main content
Elementary school children in classroom listening to teacher.
Abuse Guardians
+1 (877) 421-9608

Clarksburg, WV – A 50-year-old Clarksburg man, Victor Lee Chess, a first-grade teacher’s aide at North View Elementary School, was taken into custody on Friday, May 24, 2024. The arrest comes after an investigation into claims of sexual abuse involving a student at the school located at 1400 N 19th St, Clarksburg, WV 26301.

First Grade Student Sexually Abused by Teacher’s Aide

According to Sgt. R.L. Glaspell of the West Virginia State Police, Bridgeport Detachment, Chess faces grave charges, including first-degree sexual abuse of a child under 12, sexual abuse by a parent, guardian, or person of trust, and sexual contact by a school employee.

Arrest and Court Proceedings Following Sexual Abuse Charges

After a thorough investigation by Tpr. N.P. Clifton, warrants were obtained for Chess’s arrest. He surrendered himself at the Bridgeport Detachment and was apprehended without incident. During his initial court appearance before Harrison Magistrate Kevin Renzelli, Chess pleaded not guilty. However, the magistrate set a substantial bond of $150,000, cash, surety, property, or 10/90. An individual posted 10 percent in cash ($15,000) for Chess, and he signed to secure the remaining 90 percent, leading to his release on Friday morning. Renzelli imposed a strict no-contact order, prohibiting Chess from any direct or indirect interaction with the alleged victim or any other minor under 18.

Community Reacts with Shock and Concern After Report of School Sex Abuse

As news of the arrest spreads, the local community expresses profound shock and concern over the allegations. Parents and residents alike demand a thorough investigation and appropriate consequences if the charges are proven true.

Understanding Legal Recourse in Teacher Sexual Abuse Cases

In the aftermath of the disturbing arrest of a teacher’s aide for alleged sexual abuse of a student, we sat down with Jesse Forbes, Esq., an experienced West Virginia sexual assault lawyer, to unpack the potential for civil lawsuits, holding negligent parties liable, and achieving justice for survivors.

Laurence Banville, Esq.: Thank you for joining us, Jesse. In cases like this involving alleged sexual abuse by a teacher’s aide, what legal options are available to victims and their families?

Jesse Forbes, Esq.: Victims of school sex abuse have the right to pursue civil lawsuits against not only the perpetrator but potentially the school district as well if negligence enabled the abuse to occur. Many times monetary damages can be sought for pain, suffering, counseling costs, and more.

Banville: And how can negligent parties be held accountable?

Forbes: A thorough investigation is key to identify any failures the school or district may have had to properly vet, train, or supervise the school employee. Schools have a duty to protect students and can be liable if that duty was breached, allowing abuse.

Banville: Thank you for highlighting the paths forward to achieve justice and compensation for survivors.

Don’t Hesitate to Take Action

For those impacted by sexual abuse from a teacher, school employee, or other trusted authority figure, it’s critical to understand your legal rights. The trauma can have lasting effects, but you don’t have to suffer in silence. Reach out today to learn more about our team, which can guide you through the process of seeking justice and compensation. Contact us today for a confidential, no-obligation free consultation.

Source:

https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/north-view-elementary-teachers-aide-charged-with-sexual-abuse-in-harrison-county-west-virginia-case/article_afda037e-19da-11ef-9ae9-2fca54031cf7.html

Join the Discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

Please do not include personal details in your comment. To message the author privately instead, click here.

Contacting the author via this website, either publicly or privately, does not create an attorney–client privilege.